For recommendations and the most up-to-date information about pool season this year, please visit the CDC’s website.
As temperatures are starting to rise and the kids are getting tired of being cooped up inside, it’s time to start thinking about opening your pool. Opening your pool does not have to be a huge hassle, with a little preparation and time management you’ll be ready for pool season in no time!
AcePools.com is a FiltersFast.com brand and we are excited to share them with you! AcePools.com is your one-stop shop for all things pool, spa and hot tubs! Get the pool filters, pool chemicals, pool vacuums, and pool toys you need to enjoy pool season at AcePools.com.
Here are some things you can start doing now to get ready for pool season:
- Clear debris from OUTSIDE of the pool. Usually not the first thing you think of, but it will help you out in the long run. Make sure to clean up any leaves, branches, dirt and other debris in the surrounding pool area that would later be tracked into the water.
- Remove the cover. Clear all debris and standing water from the top of your cover to avoid a big mess later when preparing the cover for storage. Here’s a great blog on how to properly remove and store your pool cover.
- Add water to appropriate operating level for your pool. Over the winter and spring, some of the water in your pool evaporated, so make sure that you fill your pool back up to the proper operating level before doing anything else.
- Change plugs and check skimmer baskets/ basket strainers for damage. Make sure to remove all the winter plugs and parts that were installed to prevent freeze damage. Replace with your in-season plugs and parts.
- Clean debris from the pool bottom. Adding a chemical clarifier can help breakdown the debris. Start by raking out the largest debris, and then use your vacuuming system for a thorough cleaning. Don’t forget to brush the pool walls as well.
- Start the pump and filter system. Follow instructions carefully. Check filters for damage and water leaks at connections. Backwash your filter if needed. Replace your filters as necessary.
- Shock, test and stabilize the water. Chemically shock your water, then 24 hours later, test it. Once the desired chemical levels are achieved, don’t forget to stabilize or condition your water to prevent rapid loss of chlorine due to UV rays. Throughout the season, make sure to use a high-quality algaecide to kill any present algae and to prevent it from forming.
- Take inventory and replace needed items. Once your pool is ready, check other pool parts such as lighting, steps and ladders, pool toys, and all other equipment and maintenance items. Repair and replace as needed. Find what you need at AcePools.com!
- Set-up your outdoor sanctuary. Clean and set-up your outdoor furniture, tables and chairs, tiki torches and barbecue grill.
For other helpful pool opening tips, check out this blog. Don’t forget! Visit the CDC’s website for the most up-to-date information.
Once warm weather arrives, you can start enjoying your backyard oasis! Please visit Acepools.com, part of the Filters Fast family, for all of your swimming pool needs.
EcoBlueLife.com is a replacement water and air filter company located in the United States. The views and opinions contained herein are solely those of the original author and do not represent Eco Blue Life or its affiliates. This article was originally published on FiltersFast.com