Who would’ve missed that special breeze of December? It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The inevitable chills and illuminating shimmering Christmas lights are irresistibly bringing good feeling within us! “‘Tis the season to be jolly…”— as the rhythm goes around your neighborhood or even along the streets as you pass whenever the yuletide season is just around the corner. A huge crowd can be seen in marketplaces and shopping malls. In many parts of the world, shopkeepers decorate their shops along the Christmas theme.
It is definitely the time to enjoy and savor that fun moment especially with family. On this occasion, everybody wishes ‘Merry Christmas’ to each other. Special Christmas Carols are sung in churches and abbeys. It is also an occasion for a family get-together. People put on new clothes, present gifts to each other, and decorate their houses.
Since Christmas is just around the corner, the time for giving and sharing should not be missed out. It has had been a pure tradition all of over the world from generation to generation. We always wanted something to wrap to for Mom and Dad. We long for that something simple yet memorable— that gift that could last till infinite memories.
You might be having a hard time thinking on what would be the best gift ever. Well, it’s time to change the style of gift ideas! Mom and Dad are pretty sure way happier to receive something they can utilize in the house; something practical.
One of the most unique gifts you can give for them this holiday season is the Berkey Filters. It is technically a renowned water filter in the country that either Mom or Dad would wish to have! It does not just purify your tap water, but certainly assure you away from possible water contaminants. Your parents absolutely don’t want that to happen. They always wanted what’s best for the family, they wanted Berkey Filters.
Here are the reasons why Berkey Filters are of a good choice for Mom and Dad this Christmas:
Understanding Water Filtration
Filtration is a process wherein the solid particles in the liquid are removed. Through the filter medium, it allows the passage of the liquid while retaining the solid particles, or vice versa. Apart from the solid particles, gases, electricity, light, and sound can be filtered as well. This is true in the production of the chemicals in big industries.
The process of filtration was known to human beings since time immemorial. They produce a clear water from the muddy river through scooping a hole in the sand. They do this in a depth below the level of the muddy river. Then, the clear water filtered through the sand would filter in the hole. Communities in modern society still use this traditional process to purify their water.
In all types of filtration, the basic requirements are the following:
- A filter medium
- A fluid with suspended solids on it
- Pressure difference to enable the flowing of the liquid
- Filter or any mechanical device that holds the filter applies the force and contains the fluid
Big companies create the filters that allow the removal of the cake filtered or other solid particles. They also allow the washing and drying of the cake. The various techniques in the removal and treating of the cake, for the removal of the filtrate, and the creation of the driving force on the fluid have been combined in different ways. With this, it can create an awesome filter equipment variety.
One type of water filtration device is the gravity filter. It is the simplest and the oldest type. The most common is the gravity sand-bed which is found in the city water plants. This type of filters use the tanks made of concrete.
At the tank’s bottom, you can find the false bottom or the grating. Above is the crushed rock or the gravel. It is of graded size. At the top, you can find layers of quartz sand which is of uniform size.
To filter sulfuric acid, the crushed coke of graded size is being used. This is true in industrial filtrations. This is used in the charcoal beds, alkaline liquors, and others. It is used to purify organic liquids to be filtered and absorbed.
The Black Berkey Water Filter
In the early 1800s, London has a major problem in safe water. This is due to the pathogenic bacteria that have contaminated the Thames River. According to studies, raw sewage was the leading cause of water contamination. As such, this problem has endangered the health of England’s citizens. Some of the epidemic diseases like typhoid, Cholera, and diarrhea has started to spread across England. With this, it has alarmed Queen Elizabeth who is the most powerful woman in the world at that time.
Then, Henry Doulton invented and developed ceramic filters. Now, it is known as the Super Sterasyl or as the white filters. These filters can remove the deadly microorganisms like the bacteria. It has the capability of self-sterilization.
Queen Elizabeth mandated Doulton to make a gravity stone fed water filter. He created a technology of ceramic filters using his talents in pottery. Then, he made a water container.
Doulton with the help of Chadwick and other experts in 1846, they started a revolution and opened the eyes of the people. They began a movement for better water technology sanitation. Through the Ceramic Filter of Doulton, it has paved the way to the development of water filters. Now, it is known as the Super Sterasyl filters.
In 1846, the experiments and research collected by Louis Pasteur through the advanced microbiology were aligned with the Doulton’s studies. It allowed the continuous development of the research by Doulton. They have further studies the effects of the harmful substances in the water.
Doulton together with Pasteur created water cartridges that can kill bacteria. Their studies are known to be 90% effective in its goals. Through their explorations and examinations, they have improved the water filtration. They have done this through ceramic water filters. Then, it was adopted at military, hospitals, and laboratories. As a matter of fact, it has been part of Queen Victoria’s exhibit at the international level in 1862.
The Black Berkey Water Filters were discovered by the US-based company named as the New Millennium Concepts. Now, the locals of North America had a chance to buy the technology which is the Super Sterasyl Filter. This is through the distribution efforts by the NMC and the Berkefeld.
To make the 99% of the water be filtered by the device, the NMC developed further the Black filters. They now produce water which is clean and close to perfection.
Black filters are also known as water purifiers. It removes every contaminant in the water. As such, no heavy metals or organic compounds can remain in the water. This is true once it has been filtered Black Berkey Water Filters.
It Simply Removes the Bad, Leaves the Good
Berkey water filter systems are far superior to other filtration systems because they remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, cysts, parasites, and unhealthy chemical contaminants such as Chlorine to levels higher than 99.99%, while at the same time leaving in the essential minerals your body needs.
Did you know that over 60% of US municipal water is fluoridated?
Berkey water filter systems also distinguish themselves from many other filtration systems by having the capabilities to significantly reduce fluoride and arsenic via the “PF” line of filters.
It’s Affordable, You’ll Have a Great Return of Investment
Each durable Berkey water filter will last up to 3,000 gallons (6,000 gallons per set of 2). This is much longer than the majority of water filter solutions on the market. At 10 gallons per week, this equates to more than 11.5 years of healthy clean drinking water!
Put another way, 1 gallon of Berkey water costs you just 1.7 cents! Including fluoride and arsenic reduction, 1 gallon of Berkey water costs just 7 cents.
Stop and think how much money you could save by the simple reduction in bottled water purchases by regularly using water filtered by your Berkey water filter.
It Purifies Any Kind of Water, Thus, a Versatile One
Berkey water filter systems are capable of purifying both treated water (municipal/ city water) and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds, and water supplies in foreign countries.
The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Berkey water filter purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
Due to the fact that the Berkey water filter does not require electricity and are portable, they become a lifesaver during times of flooding, loss of electricity, and other life-threatening emergencies.
It’s Convenient and Portable
Berkey systems are easy to assemble and operate without tools, electricity, water pressure or plumbing. When traveling, or if space is limited, the top and bottom chambers of most of our systems nest within each other for easy transport.
It’s definitely user-friendly; something that is of a great use yet advantageous to utilize.
It’s Dependably Simple
The technology that Berkey uses to purify water is able to handle the very smallest of water contaminants, even viruses, making it one of the most powerful water filtering systems available. This ability is all possible using the most simple, foolproof methods, starting with micro-filtration.
It Can Control Your Own Water Quality
When you purchase water from water fill stations or buy bottled water, do you really know the quality of that water? With water fill stations, much maintenance is required for the machine to function properly. Is the person in charge of that maintenance changing filters when necessary or do they let them go beyond their ability to boost profits? Is the machine sanitized on a regular basis? Is the bottled water you purchase going through a filtering process, or is it just regular tap water from a municipal supply?
The point is that if you are not producing your own water, you really are not in control of the quality of that water. If you own a Berkey Water Filter system you will be in charge of all of these factors and know that the water is being purified to the highest quality standards.
There have been couples of independent lab results speak for themselves. The Berkey system’s high quality and effectiveness have stood the test of time.
First ordered by the Royal House in England, it’s also been used by relief organizations such as UNICEF, the Peace Corps, and Red Cross Societies Internationally. What’s more, Berkey home water filter systems have been used for over 150 years by missionaries, explorers and relief workers in over 140 countries around the world.
All the pointers mentioned above are the core factors why Mom and Dad would just wish to have their own Berkey water system. To sum up everything, it’s something all they can ask for! They depend on the quality of water through this water filter without sacrificing someone’s health in the family.
What Does Berkey Filter Do?
The Berkey emerges among different filters in that it effectively expels the following contaminants from your ordinary drinking water.
Implied to avoid tooth decay, Fluoride is being consumed by roughly 64% of the United States population consistently by means of faucet water, regardless of being profoundly poisonous.
Chlorine is an exceedingly poisonous substance that has been utilized to sanitize swimming pools and is put into drinking water to wash out microorganisms. Be that as it may, no pursuits are made to expel the chlorine from the water, which means a large number of individuals expend it every day.
Bacteria are most generally found in outdoor water (rain, streams, lakes and so forth) and can cause disorder for a considerable length of time or even weeks if not appropriately filtered through.
Currently, news stations have been detailing that pharmaceuticals (counting hormones, anti-toxins, and mood stabilizers) have been found in the water supplies of a disturbing number of urban communities in the US.
Metal and Debris
Plumbing can be hard to keep up, particularly in more established urban communities or towns where budgets are spent somewhere else. Along these lines, old funnels (both outside and inside your home) can end up plainly eroded and tiny bits of metal can discover their way into your water glass.
To Whom is the Berkey Good for?
The Berkey is ideal for those individuals who get a kick out of the chance to be prepared for the worst emergency. This would certainly include Mom and Dad that have nothing to do but to think of the welfare and security of their household in times of difficulties.
In case of an infrastructure accident, where utilities are closed off or assets wind up noticeably polluted, this filter will be the best approach to get safe water.
It is likewise ideal for the more health conscious among us, who don’t care for drinking the greater part of the filtered things indicated above.
Here are the itemized Berkey water filter products that will give you a clearer view of their usefulness.
Big Berkey Water Systems are units that once purchased one would keep for a lifetime. I highly recommend them! If you want a water system that is solid, is on the level of a purifier and has low maintenance then Big Berkey Water Filter Systems maybe for you.
These units are very popular so don’t waste time if you are thinking of getting one as they sell out quickly. Look into trying this water filter system for yourself and recommend it to all your friends and family.
The heart of the Big Berkey Water Filter System is its black Berkey filters. These black filters are near a foot long and are made from a proprietary combination of approximately 6 different types of media. They exceed EPA log 7 ANSI / NSF protocols for filtration and thus are rated as water purifiers. Water purifiers take water filtering to a whole new level. Units of this level often cost well over a thousand dollars. I was realizing this water purifier was respectably priced well within the reach of many people.
The 1.5-gallon water tank is perfect for one or two people, or a camping trip.
The Travel Berkey is 18″ high, in spite of the fact that it can be collapsed to 12″ for stockpiling. It is 7.5″ in diameter.
It can hold at most extreme of two filters which will filter up to 2.5 gallons of water for each hour.
- The compact Travel Berkey system is the ideal system for small homes and apartments, travel (fits in many bags), outside exercises or unforeseen crises
- Built of exceedingly polished AISI 304 stainless steel
- Upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport
- Most extreme filters: 2 Black Berkey Elements (in upper chamber)
- The system incorporates upper and lower stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, 2 wingnuts, 2 washers, 1 preparing catch, stainless steel cover, nozzle, and an elastic gasket to secure the base
- Height when being used: 18″
- Weight: 6.13 lbs. when empty
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with two Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Travel Berkey system can deliver up to 2.75 gallons (10.4 liters) of purified water every hour
- Up to two PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters might be set up in the lower chamber of this system if wanted
With a 3.25-gallon water tank, the Royal Berkey is a solid match for bigger families or private companies.
This system is 23″ tall and is 9.5″ in diameter.
It can hold a maximum of four filters and filtration time relies upon what number of filters you utilize.
- Filters typically with approximately 5-8 gallons for each hour utilizing one set (2) Black Berkey Purification Elements, however, can filter up to 4 gallons (15.1 liters) for each hour when the upper chamber is kept topped full.
- Filters typically with approximately 2-6 gallons for each hour utilizing 4x (two sets) Black Berkey Purification Elements yet can purify up to 8 gallons for every hour when the upper chamber is kept topped full.
- Weight: 8 lbs. when empty.
- Totally for off-grid operation, no power or pipes required
- Full freestanding system, lightweight and simple to move and transport. Utilize it on the kitchen seat, office, classroom, lounge and so forth.
- One set of Black Berkey Purification Elements will keep going for approximately 5,970 gallons
- Up to 4 PF-2 Berkey PF-2, Fluoride and Arsenic Elements can be set up in the lower chamber if wanted.
Featuring a bulky 4.5 gallon (17 liters) water tank, the Imperial Berkey is twice the size of the Travel Berkey. That makes it a solid match for larger families who drink a ton of water or little workplaces.
The Imperial Berkey is 25.75″ tall and is 10″ in diameter.
It can hold a maximum of 6 filters and filtration time every hour relies upon what number of filters you opt to set up.
- The Imperial Berkey System comes standard with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, however, can be extended up to 4 or 6 elements.
- The adaptable Imperial Berkey System is the perfect system for use with mid to large-sized families, little gatherings and amid sudden crises.
- Constructed with exceptionally polished AISI stainless steel.
- Upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport and stands just 17″ in height.
- Maximum Filters: 6 Black Berkey Purification Elements (in upper chamber).
- The system incorporates upper and lowers stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements (expandable to 4 or 6), 1 stainless steel top, 2 washers, 2 wingnuts, 4 blocking plugs, 1 priming button,1 nozzle, 1 elastic gasket to secure the base.
- Height when being used: 26″.
- Weight: 10 lbs. when empty.
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Imperial Berkey System can deliver up to 5.5 gallons (20.8 liters) of purified water every hour. Configured with 6 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Imperial Berkey System can create up to 16.5 gallons (62.5 liters) of purified water every hour.
Up to 6 Berkey PF-2, Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements can be set up in the lower chamber if wanted.
With a huge 6-gallon water tank, the Crown Berkey is absolutely the king of the Berkey group of water filter.
Crown Berkey is 30″ tall and is 11″ in diameter.
It weighs 12.6 pounds and can filter 6.5 gallons every hour.
- The Crown Berkey System comes standard with two Black Berkey Purification Elements yet can be extended up to 4, 6, or 8 elements.
- The Crown Berkey System is the biggest system and is perfect for huge gatherings at home, churches, hospitals, open air exercises, and amid surprising crises.
- Constructed of extremely polished AISI 304 stainless steel.
- Upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport and stands just 20″ in height.
- Maximum Filters: 8 Black Berkey Purification Elements (in upper chamber).
- The system incorporates upper and lowers stainless steel chamber, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements (expandable to 4, 6, or 8), 1 stainless steel cover, 1 nozzle, 2 wingnuts, 2 washers, 1 priming button, 6 blocking plugs, 1 elastic gasket to secure the base.
- Height when being used: 30″.
- Weight: 12 lbs. when empty.
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Crown Berkey System can clean up to 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) of purified water every hour. Configured with 8 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Crown Berkey System can purify up to 26 gallons (98.4 liters) of purified water every hour.
- Up to 8 PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements can be set up in the lower chamber if wanted.
The Berkey Light provides totally pure water even when starting with raw, untreated water from lakes, streams, rivers or ponds. Removes pathogenic bacteria and cysts (including E. Coli, Giardia, Cryptosporidium) and chemicals (including herbicides and pesticides) to below detectable levels while reducing by more than 85% heavy metals like lead, mercury, aluminum, chromium, and copper. Also controls foul taste and odor.
2 Black Berkey Elements:
- Removes chemicals (including herbicides and pesticides) and chlorine to below detectable levels
- Reduces pathogenic bacteria, viruses (MS2 – Fr Coliphage) and parasites by more than 99.9%
- Also, removes sediments, iron, foul tastes, and odors
- Reduces up to 95% heavy metals like lead, mercury, aluminum, chromium, and copper
- Can produce 4 gallons of clean water each hour
- Each element lasts up to 3,000 gallons (set of 2 lasts about 2 years)
- Tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed EPA and ANSI/NSF (Std. 53) protocol
- Base raises plastic spigot up off the counter so you can fill a glass with water without pulling the Berkey Light to the counter edge.
- Transparent design allows you to see when the refill is needed and how much-filtered water is available.
- Made of highly durable, BPA free copolyester – resistant to shattering, scratching, staining and odors. Dishwasher safe.
- Fitted fabric lid
- 2-1/2 gallon capacity
- 27″H x 9″OD, 5 lb
The Berkey KDF shower filter is a simple gadget that does filters out the following contaminants:
- Removes up to 95% of the chlorine contained in tap water
- Removes 98% or those heavy metals that are water soluble, for example, lead
- Reduces limescale
- Reduces mold
- Reduces fungi
- Reduces shower head clogging
- Reduces chemical absorption via the skin
- Removes most microorganisms
- Reduces hydrogen sulfide
As you can see, the Berkey is far more than just a chlorine shower filter. Despite this, it is priced at about the same level as other filters, which remove far fewer contaminants.
They only cost certainly within your budget, so if you just want to give one a try click through and buy straight away
Simply put, Berkey knows how to get you clean water. The Berkey Sports Bottle is more than a water filter, it’s classified as a water purifier, meaning it meets higher standards than your average filter.
Using ionic adsorption microfiltration technology, it not only eliminates over 99.99% of all harmful chemicals and pesticides as well as hazardous bacteria such as E-coli, sediments, chlorine, unwanted tastes and odors, but also removes dangerous heavy metals like Mercury, Lead, Copper, Aluminum, Cadmium, and Chromium. That’s a long list. The Berkey Sports Bottle uses medical grade technology to give you a clean and access to hydration whenever and wherever you need it.
This 22-ounce bottle has a shelf life of over 50 years, making it an ideal selection for inclusion in emergency preparation kits. The filter lifetime offers you up to 160 ‘wilderness’ refills from contaminated lakes, streams, creeks, or puddles. Or 640 tap water refills – which is how I personally prefer to use the Berkey Sports Bottle, as an everyday companion offering clean water no matter where I fill it.
It takes away the chlorinated ‘tap water’ taste and leaves every drink extra refreshing and contaminant-free. And it’s pretty cheap, considering the filtration power behind it!
Berkey Model Comparison Chart
For this comparison, the flow rate is multiplied of every system by the total holding ability to turn up an uneven estimation of the number of individuals every system could support (with the most extreme number of filters) under ordinary conditions. Remember that every system creates similar quality water, yet the bigger system delivers increasingly and littler Berkeys are more convenient. This would be a good quick guide for Mom and Dad as to which Berkey they would prefer.
Just a tip:
Whichever Berkey system you pick ought to rely upon your water utilization. The vast majority will observe a Big Berkey to be satisfactory for their household
While getting a larger sized Berkey isn’t significantly more costly, it is even more of an inconvenience. The bigger sized Berkey systems consume more space, they are higher which implies it’s harder to reach the topmost portions, and they are heavier which implies they are harder to bear.
Flow Rate (GPH)
Persons per Day
1 – 2
Big w/2 Filters
2 – 4
Big w/4 Filters
2 – 6
Royal w/2 Filters
4 – 6
Royal w/4 Filters
4 – 8
Imperial w/ 2 Filters
6 – 9
Imperial w/ 4 Filters
6 – 12
Imperial w/6 Filters
7 – 14
Crown w/2 Filters
8 – 10
Crown w/4 Filters
8 – 12
Crown w/6 Filters
8 – 14
Crown w/8 Filters
8 – 16
2 – 4
The Berkey is by all accounts an extremely efficient and detailed water filtration system. Its filters are greatly competent and truly do appear to satisfy Berkey’s claim that they are the best available on the market.
The price point is great, the fact that a Berkey filter doesn’t utilize power, and you generally have the alternative to filtering water from any source. It is also good to discover that cleaning the filter is a straightforward procedure and just should be done irregularly.
Mom and Dad might have thought and figured of several ideas on water purification just to secure a drinking water in the house, but having a decent spot for a Berkey to sit; it appears like a strong option for a water filtration system in the household.
Now, have you thought of a specific Berkey water filter product you wish to buy as a precious gift for Mom and Dad? For sure, it will be greatly rewarding to your parents! Let your family experience that extra-satisfying, a full-purified taste of your quality water. May you have an awe-inspiring holiday!
EcoBlueLife.com is a replacement water and air filter company located in the United States. The views and opinions contained herein are solely those of the original author and do not represent Eco Blue Life or its affiliates. This article was originally published on TheBerkey.com